Saturday 3 November 2012

Waterfalls In Pictures

This past Thursday, I had the day off work and decided I wanted to go for a hike and find waterfalls I had yet to visit. It was a gloomy day, but considering all the constant rain we had received recently (causing one to succumb to indoor activities for so long), I would take just about anything to do something outside of the house. The best part of this scenario is that the rain actually made for better waterfalls and so it was a great time to venture.  
Every time I set out, I can't help but be in awe of the numerous waterfalls I have access to only a few minutes away. At the risk of sounding cliche, Hamilton or (GHA) is a beautiful city and I truly believe this.  
Although the weather was gloomy the waterfall didnt fail to impress. I found Borer's Falls and Great Falls, both located just a ways off of Hwy 5, Waterdown area. 

Borer's Falls

Borer's from the Trail
Although the falls were spectacular, I wouldn't suggest visiting these falls for the first time with children or those afraid of heights. I say this only because the 300m trail leading to the falls is a little dangerous, as its close to a busy road and a few scary bits were if you slip you might fall.  However, I find that the trail can be avoided if you know exactly where Borer's Falls is so that you can park on the side of the road rather than in the designated parking lot. Without further adue Borer's Falls in pictures after Hurricane Sandy 

 

River flowing from Borer's Falls
 



































Great Falls

I found that Great Falls has a fairy easy access if you are coming by car. There is a parking lot on the side of Mill St. Rd (Waterdown Rd. turns into Mill St. when traveling towards the escarpment from the Hwy. 403) 
If you're up for a nice hike with a friend or your pet, visiting Great Falls is a really good option. From the parking lot, the falls are very close (hence the easy access). There is a trail that starts there as well, which is fairly maintained. I would say its a beginner to medium level hike. Nothing too complex, but there is some uneven terrain. 
Great Falls in November!







 












Until next time; Happy Waterfalling! 

A.Mihaela

No comments:

Post a Comment