Friday 18 May 2012

1st Week of Mini Garden

4 Sweet Red Pepper Plants.
I've been wanting to start a little garden to plant fresh herbs for a few months now. It was mostly the colder weather (as Hamilton did not experience much of a winter) that kept me from starting, but yesterday that all changed.
I visited the Lighthouse Fish Market on James St. N and bought herb plants for 1$ a planter with four plants. Among herbs I bought Cayenne Pepper, Sweet Red Pepper plants and a Cherry Tomato plant (only $3.50).
My lettuce leaf basil.
I don't have much of a green space in my backyard as it is mostly covered by a wooden deck, so I decided to plant them in pots that I found my landlord had stored in the basement. I've been told that vegetables do not enjoy being in pots because the roots will feel to confined, but I figure I might as well get it a try this summer to see what happens.
These are the Cayenne Pepper which I've left in my backyard for now.  


Cherry Tomato Plant
Today is really the first day they have been in the pots. I've kept some in my backyard in such a way that they get the most direct sunlight possible and some in my room at my bay window because there is tons of afternoon sunlight that comes in.


While scrummaging through the pots and plant products that I found in the house, I came across some plant seeds as well. Spinach, zucchini, boston lettuce and green pepper. I've never tried to grow something from seed before so we'll see what happens.


So there you have it, the start of my first mini garden. Feel free to check out the photos, write some comments and suggestions on how to improve my garden.


Seed zucchini and spinach. In the back is some thyme and oregano that is waiting to be planted in my mother's garden.




From left to right: Thyme, Oregano, Basil. These sit in front of my bay window in my room.


I'll be posting updates about my mini garden every week this summer so stay tuned.



Signing Off, 
A. Mihaela 


No comments:

Post a Comment