Sunday 10 June 2012

Hamilton's Green Space: Waterfront Trail

One of my favourite places to go for a bike ride, a run, or a midnight stroll or watch the sunset is on the Waterfront Trail. For all those concerned of difficulty, dont sweat it. It is about an 8km stretch of cemented trail that spans from Princess point through Bayfront Park, through the Marina, through the Pier 4 Park all the way to the William's Cafe on Discovery Drive in Hamilton. (Outside of Hamilton it spans from Niagara to Quebec.) The reason I love this trail so much is because you don't get bored walking this stretch of land as it sits right on the edge of the water with amazing views. And if that's not enough for you, then maybe going through parks and marinas will! 


I know what you might be thinking '8km is not exactly a walk in the park.' The best part about the Waterfront Trail is that it can be. You can start at Princess point and walk to Bayfront Park. Or you can start on Discovery Drive and go through the Marina just past Pier 4 Park. It is a trail for everyone no matter who you are and what your capabilities are, which makes it great for family outings. 
If you are a born athlete, then this trail is perfect for you. From Bayfront Park to Princess Point there are markers that measure the length so you know how much land you covered already. 




Th Waterfront Trail wasn't always around. I remember being in elementary school, over a decade ago, and the connection between Princess Point and Bayfront Park didn't exist. Back then Princess Point was filled with people picnicking and fishing every weekend. Now, its a quiet place to walk the dog. 
When I came back to Hamilton for University, the trail was a nice surprise. Even five years since I've discovered it, I haven't gotten bored. I love to go and sit on a bench looking into the harbour alone with my thoughts, or biking with my boyfriend after a long day.


I hope you enjoy and please feel free to share your experiences with this trail. 


Signing Off, 
















A.Mihaela

No comments:

Post a Comment